[PD] why not adding other boxes like gatom from objects?

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Fri Nov 19 19:58:58 CET 2021

I think he means creating a gatom by typing something in an object box.
Like you said, you can create a nbx2 with [nbx] or a bang with [bng],
but there is no way to do that for gatoms.

I think the reason is that the IEM GUI objects have been designed as
externals and just happened to get included into Pd vanilla. The only
way to create externals is via objects boxes.

gatoms, on the other hand, are really built-in objects and are created
via dedicated canvas methods. There is no particular reason why they
don't have proper creator names. I guess it's just not necessary. I
don't think anyone finds typing [nbx] more convenient than Shift + Cmd +
N, so why do this for gatoms?

Christof