[PD] mickfuzz's Pure Data FLOSS Manual, a message on behalf of Pd's community

José de Abreu abreubacelar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 14:36:17 CET 2021

Em seg., 22 de nov. de 2021 às 09:41, Alexandre Torres Porres <
porres at gmail.com> escreveu:

> A follow up to the Pd-list. This wasn't all too easy and it was a bit
> clumsy, but I gave my best as an internet stalker and was able to find
> information on who 'micckfuzz' is, where he teaches, his work email, and
> got a response. Long story short: I'm now able to edit the FLOSS Manuals
> book!
>
> But seriously, besides its tutorial (many of which I also have problems
> with, not to mention how outdated they are), I just think we need to forget
> about a second and parallel Manual on the wild and bring things to Pd's
> actual manual.

Hello, congratulations! and i disagree to this point, so i want to say why
it is good to have a second pd "manual".

First of all, Floss manuals, while the name is "manuals" and you already
said on the other e-mail that it is more a place with tutorials than an
actual manual to pd, it is a place that don't live inside pd (i mean, it
isn't in the pd sources), and this has potential of documenting things that
doesn't need to live with pd.

For example, we can talk properly about pd forks, the differences between
them, we can teach people how to install some fork, we can create tutorials
about externals, and put content that could make people easily choose some
external for something specific that they want to do in their projects
(this is something that would also make the experience with deken better,
people could go to floss and search for some topic, and find which
externals would need to use following some tutorial, and then download them
from deken following instructions, this would be great for people arriving
at pd!).

A second pd place would be great to put tutorials where the community can
create and teach all sort of things, from basic examples of doing a simple,
but complete project, explain some concept going from the start to end
doing it in practice, gather information pointing to other sites with other
tutorials (think about "read more:" and put some links to other places
explaining the same subject, some relevant discussions on pd forum,
relevant e-mails, maybe even links without using pd at all, why not?).

I see potential in having such a place for the community. This simplifies
the scope of the official manual to explain how pd works, make a reference
for the objects and also a good start for beginners on how to use the
software, and point floss manuals as a place to see and learn more, and
contribute with more content too.

Having said that, i think we should update floss, make it point to the
official manual whenever possible to read about the references, and make it
work together with the official manual. A truly beginner in computer music
would benefit to learn basic concepts using pd, and maybe the pd manual
isn't the right place for that, but a tutorial using pd to teach these
basic concepts would work along with learning how to use the software, and
i think floss is the place for that type of information.