[PD] Pd 0.52 test 2 is out

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 02:36:16 CET 2021

Em sáb., 27 de nov. de 2021 às 21:59, Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>
escreveu:

> On 28.11.2021 01:29, Miller Puckette via Pd-list wrote:
>
> > I disagree with the "$0" in message box idea.  Why not $1 then?
> > (Oh, because it already does something different...)
>
> But the same is true for canvas creation arguments! $0 is not a creation
> argument after all, i.e. it is not part of "ce_argv".

It was also never documented as an 'argument'. I understand there's an
internal logical reason, but under a user perspective, we are never aware
of it and really expect to be able to use it inside message boxes so they
can communicate to local [receive] objects.

Another compelling reason is that Pd-L2ork and Purr Data allow this in
their syntax and it would be beneficial to backport this to improve
compatibility between patches.

> Also, it really has a different purpose. So I don't really see the problem
> allowing it
> in message boxes... $0 would be a special case either way.

We also have unexpected and weird behaviour in other places. It's all a
matter of documenting. Actually, now that I am more explicitly documenting
"$0" in Pd, it's all just way more complicated to document that you can't
use "$0" in messages as you'd expect. So it's like we're documenting
unexpected behaviour now instead of otherwise.

But I'll stop now :-)

:(