[PD] documenting messages to/from Pd and dynamic patching

João Pais jmmmpais at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 20:32:59 CET 2021

>     The first one is mentioned in [pd Dynamic-Patching], although it
>     might be easier to understand if there is an example immediately
>     under the text.
>
> what do you mean by "immediately under the text"?

just a couple of objects under the paragraph where it explains it. then
it's more didactical - although the whole patch is full of such
examples, anyway.

>     The second isn't mentioned at all, the search results for
>     "abstraction" and ".pd" return elements in other types of contexts.
>
> You can see I also mentioned, in the same way as subpatches, that you
> can communicate with Pd patches, and I also have examples for that
> case so people could 'deduce' if I hadn't mentioned.
>
> I guess I can be more clear that an abstraction is a Pd file, but that
> seemed obvious to me. I also didn't want to give an explicit example
> with an abstraction cause then I'd have to create yet another file.
> But this might be a good thing to call them both in th help file of
> namecanvas and this pd-message file.

I think you didn't understand - if you have an abstraction called "abs1"
used in the patch, sending messages to pd-abs1 won't work. They need to
be sent to pd-abs1.pd - and that could be clearly named in the
documentation.

> But I also made it clear how [namecanvas] is useful for abstractions
> in its help file, that I emphatically tell people to check for
> reference. And I don't think it makes sense to talk to an abstraction
> using its filename, cause you can't just communicate with a single
> abstraction. I also don't know of a use case that from a parent patch
> you need to send messages to abstractions like that. Seems like the
> sane way to communicate with abstractions is via inlets.

I have an abstraction which is a midiroll-type of score with more than
35000 structs. As this is calculated dynamically when the main patch
opens, so that I don't have to overload pd when programming. This is
used only for the graphical display, so there are no other objects
besides the structs. It is a quite peculiar situation,anyway.