[PD] simple dynamic instancing and connection of abstractions

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:58:27 CET 2021

[spigot] in abstraction control inlet which also takes control float to [switch~]?

In general, I try to only send controls to things which are on, yes, but I have not had major issues when that still happens. This probably depends more on what the abstractions are doing and, in the case of readsf~ and spatialization algorithms, switch~ has a much greater impact.

Don't overly optimize at the beginning. :)

> On Dec 9, 2021, at 10:22 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 01:22:11 -0800
> From: "Scott R. Looney" <scottrlooney at gmail.com <mailto:scottrlooney at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] simple dynamic instancing and connection of
> 	abstractions
>
> okay, pursuant to this idea, i'm starting into working on this design
> overhaul and i'm considering routing the non-audio signals to all of the
> instruments in a slot at once. since there will only ever be audio coming
> from one instrument in a slot, there certainly won't be audio conflicts,
> but i am a bit concerned at data going everywhere and if that creates a
> significant amount of overhead load for PD.
>
> so, if i use switch~ to turn off an inactive instrument's audio output,
> does the control data matter if it ends up in a 'dead letter office' so to
> speak? or is it better to route control signals away from inactive
> instruments as well? for this example assume the MIDI note triggering only
> routes to the active instrument as well, so no audio is even triggered.
>
> scott

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>