[PD] JACK on macOS

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 14 10:35:44 CET 2021

<https://git.iem.at/pd/pure-data/-/jobs/33818/artifacts/file/Pd-0.52-0test3-2-g6ca9539f.dmg>

 > could you please be so kind and test with that version as well?

my first tests show that this version indeed works (at least on Catalina).
could someone on Big Sur or Monterey confirm this?

gfsdr
IOhannes

PS: here's a bit more in-depth tech babble, for those interested what (I
think) is going on:

> this info in the issue was incredibly helpful:
>  > JACK protocol mismatch 8
>
> afaict it tries to tell us that Pd and jackd speak different (and
> obviously incompatible) protocols.
>
> i'm currently trying to create a new binary on our CI that finally uses
> the pre-built binaries from jackaudio.org (as dan always suggested).
>
> hopefully this will get the protocol version right.

i now think that this was a red hering.

the problem really seems to be that depending on whether Pd is linked
against  JACK from homebrew or jackaudio.org it will look for the
library in /usr/local/opt/jack/lib/ resp. /usr/local/lib/.
for reasons i do not fully understand yet, a homebrew-jacked Pd (that
looks for libjack.so.0.1.0 in /usr/local/opt/jack/lib/) will refuse to
load the library if it is found in /usr/local/lib/ (even though this is
a standard search path for libraries).
copying/symlinking the libjack.so to the searched for directory, makes
binaries work.

$ mkdir /usr/local/opt/jack/lib/
$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/libjack.0.1.0.dylib /usr/local/opt/jack/lib/

of course this is not really practical