[PD] GEM and video playback broken in MacOS?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 28 23:07:48 CET 2021

On 12/28/21 21:33, Johnny Mauser via Pd-list wrote:
> Hi Dana and all,
>
> I upgraded my personal computer to a new arm Mac  and can confirm, that Gem is not running properly out of the box. I don’t know whether I made a mistake, or it is the general situation, or what’s going on..
>
> MacOS 12.1
> Pd 52.1, Gem 0.94
>
> Trying to create a Gem window leads to console showing: "[gemmacoswindow]: failed to init GLEW: your system only supports openGL-1.0“

that's https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/issues/257 et al.

the solution is to replace the [gemmacoswindow] within the
gemdefaultwindow.pd abstraction (which is used within [gemwin]) with
[gemglfw3window] (or [gemglutwindow]).

> When I open the backendinfo window from the help-patch of pix_video the [AVF-videoplugin $0] object could not be created.
> AVF-videoplugin

that's a separate (minor) issue, that just indicates that there's a lack
of documentation for the AVF backend of [pix_video].
it doesn't indicate any malfunctioninig of [pix_video] per se (it
doesn't indicate the opposite either; it is just orthogonal)

gfdmsy
IOhannes