[PD] Testing Pd builds with JACK

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 23:45:45 CET 2022

Sometimes a developer includes a nice uninstall script, sometimes not. In either case, I usually use Pacifist to inspect the contents of the .pkg and see where they are installed:

https://www.charlessoft.com <https://www.charlessoft.com/>

That's at least definitive and a few times I actually used it as a guide to manually remove files.

> On Dec 16, 2021, at 11:08 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:05:34 +0100
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD] Testing Pd builds with JACK
>
> Hey all
>
> While testing the different Pd builds with different JACK versions, I
> wondered how JACK can be uninstalled cleanly. Both JACK versions I want
> to try come as a pkg, which installs a bunch of files to different
> places. From what I gather, there is no straight-forward way to remove
> everything reliably installed from a pkg. So I ask here, if there is an
> agreed-upon way to remove one version of JACK before the other one is
> installed. I usually wiped all jack* binaries in /usr/local/bin and the
> /usr/local/include/jack directory before re-installing JACK packages. I
> remember that colleagues had mixed experiences regarding Pd seeing JACK
> with the same build of Pd. I suspect this could be related to some
> having had left-overs from previous JACK installations.
>
> For reproducible results I'd like to know how you went about this.
>
> Roman

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>