[PD] [file]: paths not relative to patch

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Fri Jan 7 23:41:01 CET 2022

>>> And what would you *do* want to use the current working directory?
> The patch's own directory, like all other file writing objects do.
Sorry, made a typo there. I meant: what would you do if you *do* want to
use the current working directory?
>> Generally, [file] doesn't do any magic.
> I don't consider starting from a sane working directory magic.
How is the current working directory not a sane directy? Again, [file]
doesn't do anything special. It treats relative file paths just like the
OS shell would do.
>>   If you want to resolve an
>> existing file using Pd's canvas: use [file which]. If you want create
>> new file relative to the patch, use [dir( -> [pdcontrol].
> That's what I do now. That's the easy part. The less easy part is
> reliably detecting whether a given path is relative. But knowing that
> even Pd does it somewhat clumsily, I'll stick to the clumsy solution
> (checking for / and :).
That's what I was going to recommend. After all, [file isabsolute] would
likely just use sys_isabsolutepath() under the hood :-)