[PD] JACK and blocksize

Giulio Moro giuliomoro at yahoo.it
Mon Jan 17 00:35:26 CET 2022

On Bela we've been running with blocksize of 8 for a few years since 2016 and then we moved to 16 samples per block around 2018 I think (in both cases redefining the problematic constants). I think only in a couple of occasions this caused an incompatibility with a couple of externals relying on a hardcoded value of 64 instead of taking DEFDACBLKSIZE value from `s_stuff.h`.
Another drawback is the CPU penalty of running smaller blocks (which is what made us switch from 8 to 16 samples per block at the time). Smaller blocksizes means in general higher CPU usage. When running with a larger buffer size (which may be desirable when CPU performance is more important than latency), if the blocksize is hardcoded, the CPU penalty remains.

A runtime value would be a beneficial change for us.