[PD] A strange question (yet again)

João Pais jmmmpais at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 23:02:24 CET 2022

>> An array of data structure rectangles doesn't sound that bad. Why are
>> you looking for another way?
>
> Because if I have a spectrogram of 400 pixels by 200 pixels, the
> struct drawing was taxing the machine quite a lot. Actually 100
> smaller than that it was taxing the machine…
>
> But maybe I got it wrong. Obviously I’m not aiming at parity of
> features, but just having a spectrogram layer I could tap would be ace.

Do you have a Pd patch somewhere to have a look at?

Just to throw some ideas:

- if the spectrogram + audio aren't triggered that often, one way would
be to use a background of canvas objects, each with 1x1 pixels. This
sounds very exotic, I did it in jmmmp/pix2canvas to "copy-paste"
pictures into a Pd patch. Not sure how practicable it is in your dimensions.

   - since the problem with structuts is only in the drawing, you can
use your current patch to calculate the values

   - If you want mouse interaction with the background it might work
only with externals.

- for the pitch+confidence lines, jmmmp/multiarray already allows for
several arrays with different colors, thickness, etc. Pd's latest
version also added features similar to that - but I'm not sure you can
combine a new array with the background mentioned above in a canvas of
your choice.

jmmmp