[PD] ggee shell does not work in 0.52

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:03:33 CET 2022

Hi

On Wed, 2022-01-26 at 10:21 +0100, martin brinkmann wrote:
> or at least getting something from stdout does not work
> anymore. (everything is fine in older versions
> (0.51 and below).
>
> example: the shell help-patch "getting the date".
>
> it receives a bang from the right outlet, but nothing from
> the left outlet.

I cannot reproduce with ggee 0.28 from Deken with Pd 0.52-1 from git on
Ubuntu 20.04. What OS are you using?

>  ggee is version 0.28, but it happend
> with an older version (and current pd) as well.
> i wonder if this affects other externals too...

As Alexandros already pointed out, there is also [command] which was
specifically developed to overcome a few short-comings of [shell]. If
it is about a new project, I'd recommend to use it instead of [shell].
Personally, I'm inclined to put effort rather into [command] than into
[shell], since the latter has some limitations which cannot be
addressed without breaking backwards compatibility. Then again, it
would be nice if it could be kept working for existing patches using
it.

Roman