[PD] ggee shell does not work in 0.52

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 28 08:53:17 CET 2022

On 1/28/22 08:23, martin brinkmann wrote:
> On 27/01/2022 23:05, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>> On 1/27/22 20:06, martin brinkmann wrote:
>>> i need the date-as-a-filename
>
>> but concatenating a bunch of numbers into a symbol is not exactly
>> rocket science,even in Pd.
>
> yes, and that was what i did.
>
> but without a date (and withouth a unique random number as
> a fallback (shell not working))
> my old soundfiles are replaced when a new one is recorded,
> which is not exactly what i want.

so that's when you use zexy's [date].

i was under the impression, that you simply dismissed zexy's [date]
because you "need the date-as-a-filename".
on re-reading i see that i was wrong.
sorry.

instead you wrote:
 > so speed does not matter much.
 > platform independence would be nice though, and a 'vanilla'-solution
 > even nicer...

it's of course always nicer to be vanilla only.
i suggested zexy mainly because you were *already* using an external
(leaving aside that zexy is my library and somebody else's :-))

the thing with ggee is, that it practically has been unmaintained for 15
years or so.
zexy otoh is still actively maintained (i consider it stable so there is
not much new development going into it; but bugs are fixed regularly -
if they are reported)

but if you do want a vanilla solution for setting initial values, i'd go
the other way round: create a script that invokes Pd, providing whatever
unique values you need.
something like:

```
#!/bin/sh
timestamp=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M)
pd -send "timestamp ${timestamp}" -open mypatch.pd
```

and in the patch you need something like this for filename generation

```

[t b]      [r timestampe]
|          [symbol]
[symbol XXX]