[PD] A quick question - a bug or me?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:54:30 CET 2022

Oh, one thing I've forgotten about: the default font is bold on Windows and Linux which normal weight on macOS.

This is historical but I believe is also due to the font rendering on macOS using antialiasing which gives the normal font a similar draw size as the bold fonts on the other platforms (slightly a guess here). Another possible reason is that the bold fonts render "better" on Windows and Linux which normal renders "better" on macOS. Some have called for making them all the same but it's been a precedent I don't feel worth changing at least without a broad consensus of users. "If it ain't broke..."

> On Jan 28, 2022, at 12:47 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pd tries to use the same standard font across all platforms as of around 0.48 or 0.49. In 0.52, we now included the italic and bold versions of DejaVu Sans Mono as well. On macOS, we use a DVSM derivative, Menlo, which is included on the system itself. Details are here:
>
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/tree/master/font <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/tree/master/font>
>
> The result is that if you make a patch on one system with the standard font and open it on another with the same or ver similar (macOS)-sized font, the rendering should be very close. The relative sizing of objects and GUIs should be very similar, however not *pixel-perfect*. This is down to small differences in how Tk renderings things on the canvas via the underlying system graphics frameworks. We also imported the tried-and-true object sizing tweaks honed in pd-extended around the same time to help ensure more consistent sizing.
>
> That being said, I would basically suggest approach layouts with a bit of padding here and here and don't overlying focus on exact pixel alignment of things. GOPs are generally fine regarding sizing etc. There is also a text patch with all the GUIs you can use to compare on different systems:
>
> Help->Browser : Pure Data/7.stuff/tools/sizingtest.pd
>
> I would also ask Alex and the cyclone team as they have deployed a standard help-file format and pushed for some of the required changes in this area.
>
>> On Jan 27, 2022, at 8:06 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>
>> (Ps any pointer on how to unify looks between OSes welcome - I found some online, mostly moaning about fonts :)
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>