[PD] [sfinfo~]

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:36:44 CET 2022

If you're after the number of channels and sampling rate, the list coming
out of the right outlet of [soundfiler] gives you that. And the left outlet
gives you the number of frames/samples, but beware that it actually reports
the number of samples loaded to the target array. So if you don't use the
-resize flag it won't necessarily report the number of samples in the file.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 1:19 PM Pierre Alexandre Tremblay <
tremblap at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello again
>
> So I was missing an object that is quite useful when dealing with audio
> files in batches. Attached is the ugly file in progress to read (with
> [file]) the header of audio files and demingle it to get the number of
> channels and number of frames and sampling rate… what the Max object
> [sfinfo~] does.
>
> Now I notices that the pd API offers me the headers to recode it in C - so
> I have 2 options here
>
> - I don’t bother anyone and I coder it as fluid.sfinfo
> - I code it as [sfinfo~] and make a PR and pray that the dev gods pick on
> it and in the meantime I just include my PR version.
>
> I looked in decken and couldn’t find that string (soundfile, sound file,
> etc) so I’m pretty sure it is not there.
>
> In all cases this is a very useful object to have. I offer my pd attempt
> in sacrifice to the people who want to have a laugh. It kind of works… but
> that ‘extended’ format (80 bit float anyone?) is a pain to detangle :)

William Brent

“Great minds flock together”
Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century

www.conflations.com