[PD] [midifile]

Samuel Burt composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 18:52:14 CET 2022

I'm working with [midifile] to create algorithmic scores from analog-style
synthesis models. Really I'm at the beginning stages of doing so.

My flow is to generate data, write it into a MIDI file, and then open it in
Finale to see the results. Unfortunately, I'm seeing an accumulation of
previous notes that appears at the start of each measure.

Here's a picture of the patch and the output:
https://i.imgur.com/t4naCah.png

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm assuming there might be some kind of
problem with how I'm creating noteoff commands.

What I remember from study is that the MIDI spec has both noteon and
noteoff messages, but most instruments just use noteon messages with zero
velocity. Do sequencers translate those zero velocity messages into noteoff
messages before saving them into a file?

Thanks,
Sam