[PD] different float accuracy betw. Pd-0.52-1-msw-i386 and Pd-0.52-1-msw-amd64

musil at iem.at musil at iem.at
Fri Feb 11 23:11:34 CET 2022

Zitat von Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>:

> That's only half the story. Generally, one shouldn't expect floating
> point computations to yield the exact same result with different
> compilers/machines. The rounding errors themselves are very small,
> but they can accumulate over long periods of time or get amplified
> by recursive algorithms.
> I've made an alternative implementation [biquad2~] that uses direct
> form 1. It shows significantly less noise than the [biquad~]
> examples. See attachments.

That's right what you wrote.
However, what worries me is that if I run a Pd vanilla patch on
different Pd versions (i386 or amd64) with the same floating point
precision, I expect the same results.

e.g. the test patch running on Pd-0.52-1-xxx-i386 produces -60dB low
frequency spikes, the identical patch running on Pd-0.52-1-xxx-amd64
produces -34dB high frequency bursts. And that's a realistic simple
situation, a microphone signal feeds a 3rd order high pass filter.

Thomas Musil