[PD] plugin.tcl not changing anything, linux

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Mar 3 20:58:06 CET 2022

On 3/3/22 19:57, Samuel Burt wrote:
> Thanks, IOhannes, for the link. It's easy to get lost in old documentation.
>
> Does anyone know if any of the instructions on
> http://puredata.info/docs/guiplugins are applicable to Pd 0.5+ anymore or
> should we update the page to show which versions of Pd are capable of using
> these tcl plugins?

most of the information is *probably* still correct.
it's just the "global variables for setting colors" section that is
explicitely for "Pd-extended 0.41" (as the first line in the paragraph
says).

the information that is glaringly incorrect is:
- all the links pointing to sourceforge and the SVN
- the reference to pd-gui.tcl (back in the olden days, the entire GUI
was implemented in a single file "pd-gui.tcl". these days, the GUI is
split over a few dozen files in the tcl/ folder.

anyhow: the biggest problem with gui-plugins is, that there is no
well-defined public API.
we somewhat try to keep things backwards compatible, but the promise is
much weaker than on the Pd-core side.

Pd-GUI has never really been "designed"; it just grew, with stuff added
as it was convenient, and adjusted to fit newer needs; i do minor
refactoring of the code whenever i need to touch it, so it (hopefully)
becomes more robust (also from an API perspective); but i'm not really
claiming to create a consistent interface.

so your quite on your own when it comes to GUI plugins.

otoh, there have been GUI plugins that were created 10 years ago and
(afaik) they still work as expected, to the situation is not really bad.

your best bet for writing your own plugin is probably to just search
deken for "*-plugin" to get some examples:
   http://deken.puredata.info/search.html?libraries=*-plugin

and of course, study the code in Pd's tcl/ folder, to see what is
actually there.

gmfdsa
IOhannes