[PD] Click Tracker - Version 2.3 is out!

Dudley Brooks dbrooks at runforyourlife.org
Sat Mar 12 17:52:56 CET 2022

Hi, Joao.  Thanks for your response.

On 3/12/22 2:02 AM, João Pais wrote:

> Hi Dudley.
>
> I spent more than 10 years working on this, basically giving it away
> for musicians who want to use it, and at no profit for me. I would
> like at some point to be able to get some return on the time, and it
> seems to me that the only option is to try to protect the source code.

I guess I should have suspected that it was for protection. Hindsight is
golden ... especially now that I've been *told* the answer!  ;^)

But at the time I thought it was some glitch ... until a new version
came out that was still scrambled, which just confused me.

> Regarding your comments:
>
> - the objects were "entagled" with jmmmp/jp.garble
>
> - I "might" have added some hundreds of non-useful objects to some
> subpatches just to annoy anyone who tries to clean it up

I'll ratchet "annoy" down to merely "mystify".  ;^)

> - none of these are failsafe, but I only know how to program in Pd, so
> it's the only protection I could think of.

Yeah, not failsafe, unfortunately, since I did manage to completely
untangle it.  My apologies that I was unintentionally violating your
desire for protection.

I have been OCD about untangling things, ever since I first learned to
program, in Basic, and was dismayed by "spaghetti code".  (In fact, ever
since I was a kid and my father showed me how to untangle a rope and I
got mad because I hadn't figured it out myself.)  I started (or
attempted) to write a program that would rewrite any Basic program
de-spaghettified ... and decided that (1) it was beyond my programming
ability; and (2) it was pointless anyway -- better to just use languages
that didn't allow spaghetti.

Pd does allow spaghetti -- practically encourages it in fact!  (Not the
obfuscation you used; just the typical Pd program with connections going
every which way -- *almost literal* spaghetti!. But Pd is so useful that
I still want to learn it.

Anyway, far from my original desire to see how the program worked, I
became obsessed merely with the desire to see if I *could* untangle it!
I'm sorry.

> If you're interested in how the Click Tracker works etc., I would
> suggest to have a look at the paper I presented some years ago
> https://www.uni-weimar.de/kunst-und-gestaltung/wiki/PDCON:Conference/Click_Tracker:_Performance/composition_tool_for_metrically_complex_scores
> - most of it is still current.

Thanks.  I will take a look.

> Or to ask me directly. I doubt I will send you the original patch, but
> I can answer questions in text.

Thanks.  Not necessary at the moment, but thanks for the offer.  I
should clarify that I look at other people's programs not to learn how
the *particular* program solves the *particular* problem but just to
learn programming practices in general.

And thanks for all the work you put into an amazing program!  I hope you
will get donations to reward you for that work.  (I'm not financially
able to donate to *anything* ... senior citizen on a fixed income ...
but I would if I could.)

Dudley