[PD] Pd 0.52-1 - frozen dsp and gui in ubuntu 20.04

Bruno Rohde brunorohde at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:29:07 CET 2022

Hi Peter,

> Bruno, which version of Pd is available on Ubuntu via the apt package
> manager?

puredata/focal-updates,focal-updates,now 0.50.2-3ubuntu0.1 all [installed]

Any reason you want to compile it yourself?

to use the latest version; compiling always worked, it is the first time I
have this problem.

> Does it work when you specify
>  $ pd -nosound
> ?

GUI works as expected when using -nosound, no more freezing

> Does it work with a different audio driver architecture, eg. alsa?

Yes, I tried ALSA and it works, so it must be something related to Jack

> Does a pd (any version) installed via apt work?

Yes, 0.50.2 works normally, as any other version I compiled previous to
0.52-0

Thank you for the hints!

Bruno

Em seg., 21 de mar. de 2022 às 10:41, Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com>
escreveu:

> Bruno, which version of Pd is available on Ubuntu via the apt package
> manager? On Debian it is
>
>  $ apt --all-versions list puredata
>  Listing... Done
>  puredata/bullseye-backports,bullseye-backports,now 0.52.1+ds0-1~bpo11+1
> all [installed]
>  puredata/stable,stable 0.51.4-1 all
>  puredata/oldstable,oldstable 0.49.0-3 all
>
> Any reason you want to compile it yourself?
>
> Does it work when you specify
>  $ pd -nosound
> ?
> Does it work with a different audio driver architecture, eg. alsa?
>
> Does a pd (any version) installed via apt work?
>
> and so on and so forth... ;)
>
> best, P
>
> * Bruno Rohde <brunorohde at gmail.com> [2022-03-21 14:27]:
> > Hi friends,
> >
> > I have a problem running Pd 0.52-1 on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 using Jack. I
> > compile the project the same way I always did, but in this version the
> DSP
> > doesn't work (Test Audio and Midi), and the GUI partially works (on other
> > patches). The last version I can run normally is 0.51.4 (0.52-0 tests
> > didn't work either). Running Pd with the -verbose flag does not show any
> > relevant information. I also didn't find similar reports here on the list
> > and on the net.
> >
> > (system info)
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux brunorohde-desktop 5.13.0-35-lowlatency #40~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
> > PREEMPT Mon Mar 7 10:14:12 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > (compilation)
> > ./autogen.sh
> > ./configure --enable-jack
> > ./make
> >
> > Does anyone have any information about this problem? Any tips on how to
> > investigate the cause and solution for it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bruno
> >
> > --
> > Bruno Faria Rohde