[PD] how to write different types to [text]

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 11:01:20 CEST 2022

On Sun, 2022-03-27 at 01:10 +0100, Christof Ressi wrote:
> In my experience, commas in [text] are broken... Best not to use them
> :-)

What is the purpose of 'type' in [text] then? I find your advice of not
using a feature because it is broken - frankly - disconcerting. If it's
broken, then it ought to be fixed.

Apparantly, FUDI uses both, commas and semicolons. In message boxes,
they have a different meaning. The selector of a message after a
semicolon is considered a send symbol. Everything after a comma i
considered simply a message.

In texts, the distinction was not clear to me, but it seems the Pd
patch format itself uses both:

#X floatatom 26 77 5 0 0 0 - - -, f 5;

the message 'f 5' defines the width of the number box. I'd like to be
able to modify Pd files with [text], since I believe both [text] and
the Pd parser use the same infrastructure for parsing and composing.
However, it seems that types are only implemented in the parsing
component of [text], but not in the composing part.

Yes, I could use the new [file] facility to edit Pd patches as binary
files, but it seems the wrong tool, since Pd patch format is FUDI and
[text] works with FUDI.

Roman