[PD] meaning of [comport]s error numbers

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:08:06 CEST 2022

That's a low-level C error code. I believe they are standardized via Posix, but if you search on Google, there are some lists online. If you are doing development, you can also look at errno.h provided by the system.

I opened errno.h on my macOS 11.6 system with Xcode installed via the following on the commandline:

open `xcrun --show-sdk-path`/usr/include/sys/errno.h

it looks like your error is:

#define EAGAIN          35              /* Resource temporarily unavailable */

If you don't close the connection in software correctly, sometimes a crash will level the serial port "busy" and/or maybe something else is using such as the Arduino GUI serial monitor...

I would suggest opening an issue with the [comport] developers asking them to add the output of "strerror(errno))" to the errno print.

> On Mar 28, 2022, at 1:35 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:21:58 +0200
> From: Jakob Laue <jakkesprinter at web.de <mailto:jakkesprinter at web.de>>
> To: Pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:Pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: [PD] meaning of [comport]s error numbers

> Dear list,
> I am trying to communicate from Pd Vanilla 0.50.2 to Arduino Mega via USB on Mac. It is still work in progress and sometimes I get error messages from the [comport] object, e.g. 'Write failed for -1 bytes, error is 35'.
> Does anyone know where I can find the meaning for the different error numbers that [comport] throws?
> ?
> ?
> Thanks, Jakob

--------