[PD] how to write different types to [text]

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:54:09 CEST 2022

On Sun, 2022-03-27 at 18:22 +0200, Christof Ressi wrote:
> > There is no way to get the rest of the message. I think [text get]
> > could simply output all sublists consecutively. By checking the
> > right outlet you know if a message spans a whole line (= 0), or is
> > part of a comma seperated list of messages (= 1).
>
> To be more precise: it should output all sublists when you request a
> *whole line* (field number = -1).
>
> If you have the following text:
>
> 1 2 3, foo bar baz, 5 6 7;
> [0( -> [text get] would output "1 2 3" (type 1), "foo bar baz" (type
> 1) and "5 6 7" (type 0)

[0( now returns only '1 2 3'. [1( accesses 'foo bar baz', and [2( '5 6
7' (type 0).

> But how would you access individual sublists?

There is no need to access _sublist_ since lists of either type are
accessed and counted the same. I think, this aspect of accessing
messages is already consistent and complete.

You cannot _create_ lists ending with a comma, however. I propose a
'type' inlet in [text set] and [text insert], just for completeness and
consistency.

[11 12 13(  [2( [1( <- type
 |           /  /
[text insert     ]

with above text buffer example would create:

1 2 3, foo bar baz, 11 12 13, 5 6 7;

Roman