[PD] [PD-announce] Pd 0.52-2 released

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Mar 30 09:03:18 CEST 2022

On 3/29/22 16:10, Christof Ressi wrote:
>> If you have an apple silicon, it'll run under the hood the arm code
>> and then it will only find and load 'arm64' externals?
>  From my understanding, yes. For that reason, I guess it's not a good
> idea to provide universal binaries at this point and we should rather
> ship seperate binaries.

i'm utterly confused.

it was my feeling that the situation for Pd-0.52-1 where we did just
that was not ideal.
i remember people complaining that there was no M1 binary in the first
place.

now people seem to all agree that it was much better way back then.

before anyone starts providing an x86_64-only binary, consider
rebuilding the externals for arm64 and upload them.
this will be a net-win for the future, rather than trying to keep the
past alive.

i did some quick stats of the macOS downloads in the last 10 days.
here's the top 10 (which make for 66% of all the macOS downloads):

cyclone
zexy
else
comport
Gem
iemlib
ggee
freeverb~
mrpeach
pddp

at least zexy and comport already provide m1 binaries.
the only library where i would expect any problems for compiling for
Darwin-arm64 is Gem (actually building is fine; the problem is more
about including all the relevant helper libraries in the deken package -
homebrew just sucks when it comes to multi-architecture).

ghdfs
IOhannes