[PD] [PD-announce] Pd 0.52-2 released

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 11:16:59 CEST 2022

I don't understand your reasoning why "separate binaries make more sense." I don't recall the previous Pd & Pd-extended ppc / i386 / x86_64 mac builds being a major issue. Same for externals which were also built "fat." Most mac apps are built as "universal" to cover the various transitions: ppc -> intel, 32 -> 64 bit, now intel -> arm.

If you are referring to external support, yes most externals need to be recompiled as fat x86_64 / arm, then they are good to go for the foreseeable future.

> On Mar 30, 2022, at 7:06 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 02:06:39 -0300
> From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
> To: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> Cc: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] [PD-announce] Pd 0.52-2 released
>
> Em ter., 29 de mar. de 2022 ?s 11:12, Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> escreveu:
>
>> From my understanding, yes. For that reason, I guess it's not a good idea
>> to provide universal binaries at this point and we should rather ship
>> seperate binaries. Once most externals are available as universal binaries,
>> we might ship Pd as a universal binary as well.
>>
> Of course, you can always force apps to run under Rosetta, but I don't
>> think that's a good user experience.
>>

> I agree, separate binaries makes more sense these days.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>