[PD] minimum delay time for delread4~

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Sun Apr 3 21:34:46 CEST 2022

On 03.04.2022 20:01, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   the help of delread4~ states the "delay time is at least one sample",
> but it seems the lower limit is one block (and the lowest blocksize I
> can use on linux seems to be 64 samples). I assume this is related to
> the dsp scheduling order introducing one sample block latency.

If the delread~ is scheduled /before /the delwrite~, there will be one
block of additional delay. You can force the delread~ to be scheduled
/after /the delwrite~ by putting the two objects in different subpatches
and connect them with dummy signals, as explained in
3.audio.examples/G05.execution.order.pd.

However, once you add a feedback path - as you do in your patch -, this
trick doesn't work because in the digital domain, feedback without delay
is simply not possible. The only thing you can do is decrease the block
size. This is explained in 3.audio.examples/G04.control.blocksize.pd.

Christof