[PD] Pd 52.2 different font in console?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 23:09:48 CEST 2022

On Sat, 2022-04-09 at 15:48 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> The issue now is a different one and it is that the display seems to
> be different. Before, a font size of 12 did fit nicely, now it
> doesn't. At least that's what I perceived, but I might be wrong and
> was actually checking here. My concern is that maybe the rendering
> changed or something, and when this issue came up here I thought I'd
> bring it up to see if there could be a relation.
>
> Here are some screenshots, left is 0.52-1, right is 0.52-2, left has
> font size = 12, first we compare to the right with font size = 12,
> then font size = 10.

I'm bear some of the blame for this. I found it odd that the Pd console
doesn't use monospaced font (since consoles usually use a monospaced
font) and opened an issue:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/1558

Then it became clear that the font was supposed to be monospaced all
along but it wasn't implemented properly. This issue was tagged 'bug'
and got fixed quickly by IOhannes. 0.52-2 was the next release after
this got merged.

@Alex: I see how this breaks the appearance of the ELSE banner in the
console and I'm sorry for that. I reckon it uses some ASCII-art which
doesn't work well with non-monospaced fonts. At least, in the future
you'll get a reliable look. There are other external banners that use
ASCII-art-like decorations. Personally, I find it often easier to
follow the printed messages of a patch when the font uses a consistent
width.

Re bigger:  I imagine what is a comfortable window size is dependent on
the output medium. When working on an external 4K monitor, I keep
dragging many of Pd's windows larger all the time, especially the file
dialog, which to me has a ridiculously small default size.  I mean: I
find the font size OK, but the Pd window too narrow. For my local
install, I changed it to 700x400 in tcl/pdwindow.tcl:395

Roman