[PD] filter stability

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:07:35 CEST 2022

Em qua., 27 de abr. de 2022 às 11:54, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Isn't a low steepness in the filter in the feedback loop desired
> anyway? Me thinks a low steepness means the change in timbre happens
> more slowly which - I imagine - would sound nicer than a sudden
> 'tziewhh'.

Interesting discussion. The suddenty depends on the cutoff  frequency as
well, and also on the decay/feedback parameter. I guess my problem with the
lop~ (a single 1-pole) like filter is that it doesn't work well for higher
frequencies. Perhaps a 1-pole and 1-zero filter is better as we need a
proper zero at nyquist. The original 2 sample average filter in the KP
algorithm is actually just that, a single 0 at nyquist, but it's only a
quite high cut filter and you can't set a proper cutoff frequency.

I guess I have to test and see how different does it sound and how more
efficient it is.

I already just broke my pluck~ object for a better design maybe I'll also
change the default filter inside.

cheers