[PD] [key], [keyup] and operating system key reapat

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed May 4 08:04:20 CEST 2022

Dear Sebastian,

* Sebastian Shader via Pd-list <pd-list at lists.iem.at> [2022-05-03 21:55]:
> I might be mistaking what you're saying but, on OSX if key repeats are off in the system preferences (at least when pd starts) then they will not repeat from the [key] & [keyname] objects
Thanks for clarifying, yes, I re-read your last mail about this topic.

So again, to summarize:

OS X:
key repeat off:	One key down, one key up
key repeat on: Many key downs, one key up

Win:
key repeat on or off: Many key downs, one key up

Linux:
key repeat off:	One key down, one key up
key repeat on: Many key downs, many key ups

So even if I tell the user of a patch to set key repeat off in the
operating system preferences, I'd still have to provide an abstraction
that filters repeated key downs in case she's on Windows...

It would be great to have more unified behavior since so much work has
already gone into this issue.

Looking forward for comments and suggestions,