[PD] [GEM] RFC best practice: Video input/output on Linux and Windows and... Mac OS-X

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Mon Jun 27 13:24:01 CEST 2022

Ask for a hint on GEM patch:

I am distributing a patch which processes pix_video which works fine for me on
Debian Linux, but others using Mac OS-X it does not work.

A search brought up a fix:

( https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/issues/257#issuecomment-1053999617 )::

-    create a new patch with a [gemwin] object
-    open the [gemwin] object (it's an abstraction)
-    find the [pd window] object (somewhere in the middle of the patch)
-    open the [pd window] object (it's a subpatch)
-    find the [gemdefaultwindow] object (somewhere in the middle of the patch)
-    open the [gemdefaultwindow] object (it's an abstraction)
-    find the [gemmacoswindow] object
-    replace it with a [gemglfw3window] object
-    save the gemdefaultwindow.pd abstraction
-    restart Pd & happily live after

Which worked on Mac-OS

But, when we share the patch with git repo for differen OSes,  everything turns
out to be complicated... always apply the patch again ?

So what is the best pratice to solve the issue in the patch that works on all
OS ?

Test Patch: Gem Example 00.Simple.Video.pd

mfg
   winfried

--
- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch