[PD] MIDI / STATUS_BYTE / noteOn - noteOff mesage

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 17:42:15 CEST 2022

Hi,

On 26/09/2022 20:43, Maurin Donneaud wrote:
> Dear List
>
> Looking at the MIDI 1.0 documentation :
> https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-2-expanded-messages-list-status-bytes
>
> I notice that the MIDI NOTES are transmitted over three bytes
>      byte 1 -> STATUS_BYTE [chan & function]
>      byte 2 -> DATA_BYTE [note] (0-127)
>      byte 3 -> DATA_BYTE [velocity] (0-127)
>
> I'm wandering if Pd have a simple object to extract the noteOn / noteOff
> message from the STATUS_BYTE.

I think you should be able with [midiin].

Note that as per MIDI spec, 'note off' can be either an explicit 'note
off' message also containing a 'release velocity' value or (more common)
a note on with velocity equal to zero (for example this is how Pd does a
note on/off if you use the [makenote] object.

Lorenzo