[PD] MIDI / STATUS_BYTE / noteOn - noteOff mesage

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 15:36:20 CEST 2022

Cool, but not a 'classic keyboard' controller. I don't know any modern one
with release velocity, and also with polyphonic aftertouch (at least a
decent/proper one that is not a pad and actually uses pressure after you
press the note).
cheers

Em sex., 30 de set. de 2022 às 17:09, Peter Brinkmann <
peter.brinkmann at googlemail.com> escreveu:

> There's a new controller that uses Note Off velocity in an interesting way
> --- the Artinoise re.corder <https://www.recorderinstruments.com/en/> sends
> Note Off with nonzero velocity between slurred notes.
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 9:30 AM Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, the ELSE library has [else/note.in] and [else/note.out] which can
>> handle proper note off messages. There's an object in cyclone (and also in
>> MAX, of course) that can do that too, called [cyclone/xnotein] and
>> [cyclone/xnoteout].
>>
>> The use case of this is very rare as modern controllers don't really send
>> note off messages anymore. I bought an old controller from the 80s that can
>> do this, cause I'm a nerd and gear slut.
>>
>> Note Off messages start with channel messages from 128 to 143 (128 being
>> channel 1 up to 143 being channel 16) as Dan's test patch points out. You
>> can use raw midi input from vanilla to listen to this and get the next two
>> values which are MIDI note and release velocity.
>>
>> I would also like this to be available in vanilla, but, hey, well, there
>> are the mentioned externals already and this is quite rare as I pointed
>> out. If you need to do it as a pure vanilla application for whatever
>> reason, you can create such abstraction with [midiin].
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Em qui., 29 de set. de 2022 às 19:19, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
>> escreveu:
>>
>>> Pd treats noteoff as a noteon with 0 velocity, hence the [stripnote]
>>> object, etc.
>>>
>>> If you want to explicitly handle noteoff, you can look at the midi
>>> tester patch for working with raw bytes...
>>>
>>> 1. Help -> Browser...
>>> 2. Pure Data / 7.stuff / tools / miditester.pd