[PD] [hidraw] pre Deken release. was:(Reading/writing a HID device current best practice?)

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 11:03:49 CEST 2022

Hi Simon,

> Interesting! I am away from my M1 for quite a while, might be able to
> do some testing in a few weeks.

Thanks, i need this confirmation.

> Will [hidraw] also support writing to the device? There are some
> devices that need 2 way communication to enable/disable functions and
> states.

Well from the wrapped hidapi (https://github.com/libusb/hidapi) that the
object uses is totally easy to write to the device but i'm scared about
it. They warm that writing (incorrect values i suppose) can brick the
device.

I only have an cheap USB ps2 compatible joystick to test. I don't know
yet how to start. In theory I can have a "write" method alla:

[write 1 0 255 255 127 0(

[hidraw]

but i'm unsure what to write.

Also I read in https://github.com/libusb/hidapi/issues/167 that certain
things like making the joystick rumble is not possible directly via hidapi.

I'll have to dig more may be for version 0.2.0.

Any feature request, discussion or knowledge can continue on
https://github.com/Lucarda/pd-hidraw

PS: as of v0.1.0 i'm totally happy that is so easy an cheap to hack an
usb joystick an make an 12 foot-switch pedal. Or use the joystick as a
modulation wheel, etc. :)