[PD] Biased waveform display?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:03:06 CEST 2022

On Tue, 2022-10-11 at 13:51 +0200, jayrope wrote:
> Thank you both IOhannes and Jaime, two excellent suggestions (when i
> work on a proper laptop at least).
>
> Still, both methods seem to require simultaneous writing of same
> audio
> twice.
> So in order to escape the obvious RAM/data hogging:
> What would be needed to add a switchable display feature to a graph
> otherwise, giving a user an opportunity to switch from linear display
> inverse exponential? It sounds like an extra line or two of object
> code
> to me somehow.
>
> Asking out of curiosity. I've no idea how to code that myself.

Here is another idea (not sure if it's been mentioned yet):

Store the audio in the display format: Apply a function while
recording, and apply the inverse function while playing.

I thought about [pow 0.25] for recording and [pow 4] for playback
first, but this will flip the negative parts of the waveform to the
positive range. Maybe you come up with something that actually works.

Roman