[PD] [PD-announce] hidraw v0.1.0 released.

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder at univie.ac.at
Thu Nov 3 10:11:53 CET 2022

> Thanks Lucas! What is the use case compared to existing [hid]
> externals?

+1 thank you, a really cool project!

My comparison AFAICT (from working on [hid] a little [1]):

[hidraw]
* is more cross-platform, including Windows
* has a way more modern code base and build system
* offers less "semantic" output -- in the sense that [hidraw] gives you
event codes that you process in your patch yourself, whereas [hid]
decodes many of the possible button presses and other events
* uses an external library, libusb/hidabi, for its functions -- [hid]
only uses OS functions and headers iirc

Maybe we should prepare a wiki page or other documentation item at some
point listing the different possibilities of working with USB HID
devices in Pd.

Best,
   Albert.

[1] https://gitlab.com/aaaaalbert/pd-hid (I'm currently working on using
pd-lib-builder instead of the old bespoke makefile)