[PD] Apple Silicon (M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2) questions

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 21:49:26 CET 2022

My home machine is an M1 laptop and the work machine is an M1 Pro. Both run Pd fine and any externals which are compiled for arm64. If the external is built using pd-lib-builder, it's relatively easy to build for arm64 and there are already numerous external builds which support arm64 on "deken' aka "Find externals."

What you may be finding is that early on, people weren't able to run native externals because there weren't any precompiled for amr64 yet. Now there are many. Worst case, you can force running as x86_64 using Rosetta: Right-click on .app -> Get Info, check Open in Rosetta.

> On Nov 23, 2022, at 5:19 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 11:03:49 +0000
> From: "kerry l. hagan" <klhagan at gmail.com <mailto:klhagan at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: [PD] Apple Silicon (M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2) questions
>
> Hi all,
>
> I need to update my laptop, and I?m trying to decide between M1 Pro, M1 Max and M2. CPU benchmarks show that M1 Max runs fastest, but Miller told me that it may not handle Pd?s real time processes, that he saw messages about problems. So when I Googled and also searched this list, I?m finding issues with externals and compiling, but nothing specific about vanilla Pd, no externals, running poorly on Apple chips.
>
> They?ve been out for a while (except M2), so maybe you all can advise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kerry

--------
Dan Wilcox