[PD] RaspberryPI GEM

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:19:15 CET 2022

Yeah, actually I think it's *more* possible now with the RPi 4 than before, but it's not really officially supported since the hardware is optimized for ES. I also did a quick search to double-check.

What is needed is to modify GEM to work with ES and the RPi's EGL implementation which allows you to run GL stuff without X windows directly for the terminal. OpenFrameworks has supported this back to around 2011-12, so there is a good place to look if anyone wants to tackle it...

> On Dec 11, 2022, at 10:16 PM, Alexander <dreamer at puikheid.nl> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 10:05 PM Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>> wrote:
> As far as I know, nope. GEM requires full OpenGL while RPi supports OpenGL ES only. GEM needs modernization to support ES and maybe Vulkan or something similar at some point but it's a *massive* effort likely.
>
> I have successfully run GEM on OpenGL ES hardware using GL4ES -> http://ptitseb.github.io/gl4es/ <http://ptitseb.github.io/gl4es/>
>
> Of course without specific optimizations and depending on the hardware the performance may not be good enough, but it is possible.
>

> I suggest writing a graphical frontend in a different environment such as OpenFrameworks and communicate between Pd and your app with OSC.
>
>> On Dec 11, 2022, at 9:59 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 20:46:03 +0100
>> From: Jean-Marie Adrien <jm.adrien.mnt at gmail.com <mailto:jm.adrien.mnt at gmail.com>>
>> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
>> Subject: [PD] RaspberryPI GEM
>>
>> Hello
>> Anyone knows wether it is feasible nowadays to run GEM on a Raspberry PI and process some 2500 pix_data grey value in real time at 25 fps ?
>> Thanks !
>> :)
>> JM
>
> --------