[PD] [random] and seed value

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Mon Dec 12 01:35:51 CET 2022

On 11.12.22 23:22, Peter P. wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> * Thomas Mayer <thomas at residuum.org> [2022-12-11 21:20]:
> [...]
>> My guess is, that most users probably expect at least different seed values
>> every time.
>>
>> Maybe the help file should explicitely state the behaviour or a different
>> way for deriving the initial seed should be used, e.g. taking the local
>> time. Or a better PRNG could be used as well.
>>
>> If we take the solution to initialize [random] with a different seed each
>> time, an explanation on how to revert to the old behaviour of a seed value
>> of 1489853723 should be mentioned in the help.
> I think the main thing to worry about is if any of the patches written
> in the last 20+ years will stop working in the way intended by a such a
> modification.
>
> I loosely remember that someone somewhen showed how to get a different
> seed every time using an abstraction. If such a solution exists in
> vanilla Pd, it could be added as a solution to the docs perhaps?

if backwards-compatibility is the main factor, then I will create a pull
request with an update to the help file and explain a way to generate a
good seed value with Pd vanilla, where I actually do not have a good
idea for now, because I am using [time] from zexy right now.

Thanks,
Thomas
--
"It seems to me, Golan, that the advance of civilization is nothing
but an exercise in the limiting of privacy."