[PD] [random] and seed value

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Mon Dec 12 09:16:32 CET 2022

Le 12/12/2022 à 01:35, Thomas Mayer a écrit :
> if backwards-compatibility is the main factor, then I will create a pull request with an update to the help file and explain a way to generate a good seed value with Pd vanilla, where I actually do not have a good idea for now, because I am using [time] from zexy right now.

I do also use time from zexy, but there are other possible solutions.
When I really need to be vanilla friendly, I use adc~ LSB : the noise on the audio input is impredictable, but one need an audio input configured and dsp running, so it's not generic.

The [realtime] of a simple operation like a netsend/netreceive pair can be use, but it's not possible to have the seed ready at loadbang, and it look overkill.

The best solution is to ask the OS for a random value (reading /dev/random on linux), but it's OS dependant...

cheers