[PD] [random] and seed value

Philip Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Mon Dec 12 17:45:33 CET 2022

Hello all,

I don’t think anybody is advocating for this, but I just wanted to be sure that whatever changes are made to [random], the ‘seed’ message capability is maintained. My music very much depends on the ability to control the seed value and get a repeatable ‘random’ sequence.

Where I need a truly random seed, I loadbang a [timer], and then have an ‘Init’ button that initializes all of my system. At that point, I use the value from the timer to seed [random].

Best,

Phil Stone
Davis, CA. USA