[PD] curly braces in Pd

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 03:20:53 CET 2023

Hi, so, I 'm working with OSC and found out in the specifications you can
use something like /{foo,bar} to mach either /foo or /bar as addresses.

I was able to use something like [list tosymbol] to generate '{' and '}'
and I see that these can be stored in messages in Pd files. In fact, you
can also type them inside a [text] object's window (even tough Pd's window
says 'keycode 123/125: dropped').

I see it gets saved unescaped, as in: #X msg 100 82 {;

I'm aware curly braces were never supported and this has been discussed
many times, but I couldn't easily find recent information why this is a
problem.

It's funny that as I see it now (and I didn't know) it that this is "half"
supported. It's not that you can't use them or save in patches, it's just
hard and you need ninja tricks.

So, why can't Pd just support this?

thanks