[PD] curly braces in Pd

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 21:03:35 CET 2023

So, we've been actually discussing this on github and maybe others can
participate over there, check
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/505

or... maybe we can use this thread instead... :) seems like github
discussions are always more limited.

The thing in the way now is wether "{" and "}" should be officially
incorporated with a new syntax, like nested lists. There are arguments
against as in the last message by christof here and I agree and think we
could just let "{" and "}" be supported as regular characters and that we
can expand the usage of dollar signs for expanding Pd's syntax, like ${ and
$}

And, also, I'd like to point that there are forks of Pd that actually
already allow "{" and "}"... I can see why one would disregard this, but
it's something worth noting. You can already do this in PlugData and
PurrData/Pd-L2ork, and the patches actually work and are already compatible
to Pd Vanilla.

I also don't see an expansion of the language syntax coming up very soon or
easily, so just allowing "{" and "}" could be good to at least get this
issue out of the way, since it's been bugging people for edge cases for
ages.

What do you people say?

cheers