[PD] [pd~] subprocess: unknown audio API specified

Fede Cámara Halac camarafede at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 22:34:03 CET 2023

Hi Phil,

I've had that issue before. You might need to re-select your audio device
from the Media menu before turning DSP on.
I believe that in macos it would be Media > portaudio, unless you are using
jack.

I am not sure why this error happens, but I guess it relates to the pd~
subprocess changing the saved settings.

Hope this helps,

Fede

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 10:30 PM Phil Stone <pksmusic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see this same behavior with the pd~-help patch (‘unknown audio API
> specified’ message, and no audio output), so that rules out my
> synthesizer’s contribution.
>

> Could somebody please verify that they can get audio output from the
> subprocess in the pd~-help.pd patch?
>

> I’m on a M1 Mac, if that’s relevant.
>

> Phil
>

> *From: *Phil Stone <pksmusic at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 10:06 AM
> *To: *pd-list at lists.iem.at <pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> *Subject: *[pd~] subprocess: unknown audio API specified
>
> Hello all,
>

> (Further adventures with [pd~]): I have my ‘polywavesynth’ synthesizer
> working with [pd~]; well, except that…no sound comes out!
>

> - The message ‘unknown audio API specified’ is displayed in the subprocess
> pd window.
>
> - I have the two audio outputs of the subprocess wired to a 2 channel
> [dac~], and there are no audio inputs to the subprocess.
>
> - The parent process is using PortAudio, and the subprocess appears to
> (correctly?) have no audio API selected.
>
> - The subprocess Audio Settings show that the input device is unchecked
> and is called ‘input device 1’;
>
> - The corresponding output device is checked and says ‘(same as input
> device)’.
>

> Am I doing something wrong?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Phil Stone