[PD] DSP crashing - PD freezes.

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 11:45:32 CET 2023

On Sat, 2023-02-04 at 11:32 +0100, Christof Ressi wrote:
> The callbacks option has always been broken in some way or another.
>
> Please try my scheduler_fix branch:
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1756. It would be great
> get some feedback on this. Personally, I have been successfully

I rebased your PR to current master with new portaudio version so that
I get the benefits of both. Compiled and tested on Ubuntu 22.04 (amd64)
and macOS 12.6.3 (had to upgrade from 10.14.6 because brew
complained).

Works in all tested configurations for me:
  * CoreAudio with and without callbacks
  * Jack with and without callbacks (Linux and macOS)

I wasn't able to get the high CPU usage with that build.

And now - this sounds a bit crazy - while testing the scheduling_fix
build, the official releases (0.53-1, 0.52-2, etc.) didn't exhibit the
high CPU usage anymore. Later, after some more testing, it happened
again though, but not with the scheduling_fix build. It's really
difficult to determine exactly what circumstances lead to the high CPU
usage. It's as if it's possible to "taint" CoreAudio and the
scheduling_fix somehow "untaints" it.

After all, the scheduling_fix doesn't seem to cause trouble and seems
work ewll. Will test again with Miller's "0.53-2test1" (that should be
equivalent to my scheduling_fix build) and report back.

Many thanks for the pointer, Christof, and many thanks to all others
involved in tackling backend issues.

Roman