[PD] DSP crashing - PD freezes.

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 21:36:08 CET 2023

On Sat, 2023-02-04 at 18:15 -0800, Miller Puckette via Pd-list wrote:
> OK, I've uploaded the fix (I hope correctly) to
> msp.ucsd.edu/software.html,
> as "0.53-2test1".  If that seems to work for everyone I'll rename it
> "0.53-2".

This build does not fix the high CPU usage of the 'pd' process I
described earlier. To trigger the behavior, it seems that callbacks
need to be enabled initially (saved in the preferences) and only after
toggling DSP the CPU usage jumps. I can't trigger the issue as reliably
when callback is disabled initially. When toggling DSP a few times with
callbacks enabled, Pd sometimes hangs.

The schedule_fix build seems to swallow toggling DSP and callbacks just
fine.

According to other reports, updating portaudio has addressed the
Ventura specific behaviour (couldn't test myself, don't have access to
Ventura), so probably what I describe is here is not directly related.
Also, there seem to be no apparent problem when _not_ using callbacks.

Roman