[PD] Old feature : pd extended re-opening patch from within after crash Mac OS

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:53:48 CET 2023

Pd vanilla set's the NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows defaults flag to false for the GUI process which disables the automatic window state saving in 10.7+.

You can do this on the command line with *something* like:

defaults write org.puredata.gui NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

I write "something" because I don't remember what domain Pd-extended used for the GUI. You can look in the preferences files in:

~/Library/Preferences

and see what plists are there or org.puredata, then try reading via:

defaults read org.puredata.gui

If you see the pd core settings such as audio device, samplerate, etc then it's the wrong file. If you see one which has the value set, it's likely a newer vanilla preferences file.

I also wrote about how this system works on macOS in mac/README.txt:

https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/mac/README.txt#L147 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/mac/README.txt#L147>

> On Feb 6, 2023, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 09:52:42 +0100
> From: Jean-Marie Adrien <jm.adrien.mnt at gmail.com <mailto:jm.adrien.mnt at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD] Old feature : pd extended re-opening patch from within
> 	after crash Mac OS
>
> Hi list
>
> I am running an historical patch on Mac which combines the old school features of GEM under pd extended (32 bits) and a 64 bits more recent version of PD, dispatching the overall tasks on several cores.
>
> When the Mac shutdowns by accident, because of power drop for instance, without the patches properly quitting, then, when I relaunch pd extended, it automatically re-opens the former patch which was running before crash : feature coming from within pd extended probably because this is not the case with the 64 bits version running at the same time.
>
> Any one got a hint to cancel this automatic reopening of crashed patch from within pd extended when you relaunch the pd app from fresh ?
>
> Thanks
> JM

--------
Dan Wilcox