[PD] [PD-announce] Cyclone 0.7-0 is out

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:26:23 CET 2023

Celebrating the 7th anniversary of our takeover, Cyclone 0.7-0 has been
released today on february 21st 2023.

The main goal for 7 years has been updating cyclone to MAX 7, the major
release version at the time in 2016. I thought we had taken care of all
updates but we missed [mtr], an object that got updates sometime after 7.0
and ironically this is one that got too much new stuff. Amongst new
messages and attributes, there are almost 30 new things, no kidding. Many
of which can't even be included in cyclone because we miss some stuff like
dictionary and transport.

We included some of the main things and started dealing with it... we now
have 'speed', 'trackspeed', 'embed' and 'loop', but the thing is that the
design of this object is questionable and things don't work quite well,
like 'looping'. This is a usual problem in Cyclone, implementing things as
they are originally instead of how they should be if designed in a
sane way... [mtr] is also a feature creep nightmare and some things will be
really hard to implement, but let's see.

Worst case scenario we'll stop at one point and say we couldn't make it and
only reached like 99% of our goal :) I guess cannot help but pass the
impression that I am not so happy and excited about keeping up with this, I
am really busy with ELSE and also Vanilla stuff. We may be reaching the
point where Cyclone's development of new stuff will stop and we'll keep it
in maintenance mode.

I am not sure we'll pursue MAX 8 updates, but maybe that can happen if
nothing crazy like [mtr] happens. For now, not much really happened in MAX
8 so I don't wanna discard it yet. Let's see if we can do it when MAX 9
comes out. The thing is that cyclone contains a limited set of MAX/MSP and
MAX has been adding new things all the time, which makes it a bit pointless
to get a limited set of things updated to the last version. The other thing
is not caring much about this anymore after 7 years :)

Other things in this release is that [comment] is basically done, before
realizing [mtr] updates were missing, this was the last thing that needed
finishing and we also said we couldn't include all features from MAX 7 in
it. This object now has also extra features just for cyclone, something
that rarely happens in Cyclone. To be honest, this is now a clone of
[else/note], an object that first started based on cyclone/comment. Anyway,
this thing finally has a properties windows, thanks to Tim Schoen, and is
now acceptable!

I did some other funny thing. I expanded [pink~], which now also has extra
features, it is now the same object as else/pink~, which has extra features
and is backwards compatible to the old cyclone/pink~. I hope people don't
mind this.

Full changelog at
https://github.com/porres/pd-cyclone/releases/tag/cyclone_0.7-0

it should be up in deken