[PD] Creating/editing patches on android?

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 12:32:29 CET 2023

On 23/02/2023 09:44, Matevz Leskovsek wrote:
> Hi all, as I remember all those PD on Android platforms (mobmuplat,
> pddroid) only allowed running patches and not editing those, meaning
> that one needed a desktop computer to create and edit patches. Is this
> still the case or is it possible now to use Android device for
> creating and running pd patches. Thanks!
Here's what I have done once on my Android tablet (running Android 7 if
I remember correctly) as an experiment:

1. install f-Droid app repository
2. from f-Droid, install UserLAnd and TSVNC
3. within UserLAnd, install Debian
4. within Debian in UserLAnd, install XFCE4, tigervncserver, and xvkbd,
as well as puredata
5. within Debian, launch "vncserver -geometry (width)x(height)" where
the dimensions match your screen in landscape orientation
6. in Android, launch TSVNC
7. in TSVNC, connect to localhost
8. in XFCE connected via VNC, launch xvkbd from the menu so you can type
with the touchscreen
9. start a terminal and launch pd, so you can see error messages

this set up does NOT include sound, I did get sound working once by
using PulseAudio RTMP streaming, and connecting to the localhost stream
from VLC running on Android, but the latency was several seconds so I
gave up on that idea, and I forgot the details.

I can't remember if Gem worked, maybe I needed to set the environment
variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 , performance might suffer in that case.

to transfer files, the /storage/x/ folders in UserLAnd map to
Android/data/tech.ula/data or something similar

Claude
--
https://mathr.co.uk