[PD] Creating/editing patches on android?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 00:21:54 CET 2023

Howdy Matevz,

I don't believe so, although I must include the caveat tat I do not use Android, so perhaps there is something out there I am not aware of.

Running patches via libpd in a mobile app is much easier than creating a live, graphical *editor* as with desktop Pd as:

1. the interaction metaphors are different
2. libpd does not have a way to tap into the core pd editing logic (yet)

That being said (written?), it's certainly possible to create something that can automate writing a Pd file which can then be loaded by libpd, however, once things complicated enough, you basically end up duplicating most of the core logic with the detriment that you have to carefully try to keep it up to date with whatever version of pd / libpd you are using. In short: it's a lot of thankless work that is best *not* done without lots of interest, resources, and support.

The closest thing I can think of is rooting the device to install a Linux distro so you can run *desktop* Pd, however I don't think this is where your question is focused.

As the author of PdParty, which utilizes libpd on iOS, I made a clear decision early on to *not* tackle on-device editing, mainly for the reasons mentioned above.

> On Feb 23, 2023, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:44:58 +0100
> From: Matevz Leskovsek <matevz.leskovsek at gmail.com <mailto:matevz.leskovsek at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: [PD] Creating/editing patches on android?
>
> Hi all, as I remember all those PD on Android platforms (mobmuplat,
> pddroid) only allowed running patches and not editing those, meaning
> that one needed a desktop computer to create and edit patches. Is this
> still the case or is it possible now to use Android device for
> creating and running pd patches. Thanks!

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>