[PD] Attaching Xcode debugger

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:10:19 CET 2023

I assume you just want to add the com.apple.security.get-task-allow entitlement key:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/68195208/2146055 <https://stackoverflow.com/a/68195208/2146055>

In this case, you would add it to mac/stuff/pd.entitlements, then build the .app bundle with the mac/osx-app.sh script.

Here is an arm64 build which is debuggable as I added the entitlements flag.

./configure --enable-debug

Pd-0.53-2-arm64-debuggable.zip <http://docs.danomatika.com/pdbuilds/0.53/Pd-0.53-2-arm64-debuggable.zip>

I tested with lddb:

lldb Pd.0.53-2-arm64-debuggable.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd
process launch

Brad's suggestion is related to the Gatekeeper download quarantine which is applied when an .app is downloaded in a zip or unnotarized DMG. This is a different issue and the easiest remedy is to ask the user to manually copy it somewhere like /Applications, then back which generally removes the quarantine flag. The *better* option from a user standpoint is to distribute the signed app within a notarized DMG. I have a makefile for that, since I had to figure this all out again last fall: https://github.com/zkmkarlsruhe/mac-dist-helper <https://github.com/zkmkarlsruhe/mac-dist-helper>

There is also "App Translocation" which is related to trying to load Resources outside of the app sandbox... you can read all about this here: https://www.synack.com/blog/untranslocating-apps/ <https://www.synack.com/blog/untranslocating-apps/>

;)

> On Feb 28, 2023, at 7:13 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You were not unclear. I was trying to be clear that it's probably easier to built Pd yourself than to try to figure out changing entitlements files to trick Gatekeeper. It's not hard and I have to admit I am unwilling to try the linked trick for Supercollider (because I can already build Pd).
>
>> On Feb 28, 2023, at 1:26 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 11:54:27 +0000
>> From: Pierre Alexandre Tremblay <tremblap at gmail.com <mailto:tremblap at gmail.com>>
>> Cc: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
>> Subject: Re: [PD] Attaching Xcode debugger
>>
>> Thanks for these
>>
>> I was unclear - I?m trying to debug an external (all flags ok) to a downloaded version of Pd and this is where the sandboxing is freaking out lldb. In the article I pointed, they show how to modify the entitlements of the host, which I did successfully for a downloaded version of SuperCollider, but I don?t seem able to do this with the downloaded version of Pd...
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>